Free CSS Navigation Menu Designs 2 at








Hotels & Lodges





Ooty Pictures

Ooty Map


John Sullivan, the then district collector of Coimbatore, is credited for bringing the beautiful hill station of Ooty before public eye. Thus 1819, when he visited this hill station for the first time, is one of the most important years in the history of Ooty.

Some Englishmen went to Ooty in Tamil Nadu before 1819 even. In the year of 1812 Mr Keys, the Assistant Revenue Surveyor and Mc Mahon, his assistant were sent there by the district collector of Coimbatore. They were the first Englishmen to climb up the Nilgiris. They went up to the Kallati, the lower levels of North Ooty through Dananayakan Kottai. But they never noticed the promising beauty of the surrounding landscape.

Later in the year of 1818, J.C Whish and N.W. Kinderseley visited this place. But it was in 1819 that the route to Ooty was laid and the possibilities of Ooty as an important tourist destination was discovered.

Another important fact in the history of Ooty is the laying of the path to the hill station. The earliest route to Nilgiri from Coimbatore was laid in the year of 1821, Shirumugai to Kotagiri. Later in the year of 1832 the first Coonoor Ghat road was built. In the year of 1871, the present metaled ghat road was laid. It connects Kallar and Coonoor by covering a distance of about 25 kilometers.

It was John Sullivan who built the first house in Ooty. It was called the Stone House. Gradually the hill station started gaining popularity with the tourists and historical Ooty.

| Home  | About Ooty | History |Important places | How to Reach | Where to stay | Tourist Info | Online Enquiry | Contact Us  |

No.28, East Jones Road, Saidapet, Chennai15. Email:

Powered By : J B Soft System, Chennai 15